- Almost 60 years later, the contraceptive pill remains largely the same.
- Big Pharma has focused on new life-saving treatments (more profitable).
- In 2018, US cancer drug sales totaled $58.4B vs $5.4B for contraceptives.
- High safety hurdles also make contraceptives a lawsuit target.
- However, San Diego-based Evofem Biosciences developed Amphora, a birth-control gel that can be applied 1 hour before sex without the pill’s side-effects (headaches, bloating, etc).
- Amaphora keeps vaginal pH low and inhospitable for sperm.
- Evofem plans to release Amphora mid-2020 for $140-170 per month.
Better Birth Control Exists, But Big Pharma Isn’t Interested