- CDC: US Syphilis, Gonorrhea and Chlamydia rates have soared since 2000 (see chart).
- Increases have been more pronounced among adults age 55+ (Chlamydia +200%, Gonorrhea +100% since 2010).
- Some blame spikes on government spending cuts to STD awareness, promotion and testing (-40% since 2003).
- Others point out less fear (more medication) surrounding HIV/AIDS (gay men represent disproportionately high share of newly infected).
- Another driver is more widespread birth control eliminating need for condoms (biggest fear remains unwanted pregnancy).
Why STDs are soaring in America – Rash behaviour